We all have favorites. Favorite foods, favorite outfits, favorite songs and probably some favorite colors.
But have you thought about how those favorite colors compliment your own coloring? Do you choose colors in your clothing in makeup simply because you like them, or because they bring out the warmth in your own coloring and give you a glow?
A great way to start the process of figuring out your best colors is to decide whether you have warm or cool-toned skin.
Deciding If You’re Warm or Cool
There are several ways to decide whether your skin has cool or warm undertones. Good Housekeeping outlines five, including a few of the most common.
- Look at the color of your veins. If your veins appear to be predominantly blue, you have cool undertones. If your veins appear to be predominantly green, you have warm undertones.
- Check your jewelry. If you’re drawn toward gold jewelry because it looks better on your skin, you probably have warm undertones. If you’re drawn toward silver jewelry because it looks better on your skin, you probably have cool undertones.
- Think about how your skin reacts to sun exposure. If you tend to burn easily or have a pink-ish tan, you likely have cool undertones. If you tan easily, you likely have warm undertones.
How does your undertone affect what colors look good on you?
Once you know whether you are warm or cool, you can start choosing makeup colors that make your natural beauty pop.
If you’re warm …
According to The List, the best colors for you are those that reflect nature. Think peach, coral, orchid, violet and gold. Icy colors can wash you out and make you look gray, so avoid those. Here are some products to try that compliment your coloring:
- Eyeshadow: try this fun, shimmery gold.
- Blush: try this warm, bold red.
- Lips: the sweet tea shimmer lip gloss is warm, but not overpowering.
If you’re cool …
According to The List, the best colors for you are those that reflect winter and the ocean. Think bright and deep blues and purples as well as frosty shades of most colors. Here are some products to try that compliment your coloring:
- Eyeshadow: try this cool, lavender shade.
- Blush: a toned down pink gives a subtle pop.
- Lips: tropical pink is a perfect winter/spring shade.
As you play with color combos, keep your undertones in mind and you’ll be sure to choose shades that make your natural beauty shine.