Aside from the fact that choosing natural cosmetics is one way of achieving a healthier lifestyle, this is also beneficial for our planet. Here are the top 5 reasons to make that switch to all natural makeup when you go shopping even for online cosmetics for your beauty fix.
1) Non-toxic sun protection properties. Fortunately, with the presence of minerals in non-toxic cosmetics, you are usually assured of a certain level of natural sun protection. Not to mention the numerous organic products containing antioxidants such as Vitamin C that could help in reducing sun damage effects.
2) Free from harsh chemicals. Most chemicals contained in non-organic makeup are absolutely harmful to our endocrine system. Some of the most popular of these offenders are parabens, which, according to research at Cornell University, just one of the common substances that have been related to cause serious diseases such as Breast Cancer.
Over the years, asbestos, talc, heavy metals, genetically modified ingredients, fragrances and artificial colors have been included in conventional makeup. Therefore, it’s very important to choose a brand of natural cosmetics which openly uses non-toxic ingredients instead of hidden harsh chemicals.
3) Younger looking skin. Chemicals used in traditional cosmetics don’t simply affect your body, but could also wreak havoc on your skin that leads to premature aging. Aside from maximizing oxidative damage to your skin, your skin would also dry out quickly with oxygen-starved cells because your face is layered with harsh chemicals. That’s why it’s better to go for all natural makeup and beauty products that use organic and food-grade ingredients which revitalizes skin and best of all? Your skin looks younger than it is.
4) Not tested on animals. Animal testing is in fact one of the many unpleasant sides known to the makeup industry. However, if you choose to go all natural, you are not just being gentle on your skin, but to the animals as well. So when you beautify yourself, you are guilt-free, knowing that no animals were harmed while manufacturing your makeup.
5) Less irritants. Our skin tends to be more sensitive as we age. Perhaps it’s the accumulation of dirt in our beauty products or whatever we apply into our skin, or our bodies already react negatively, but redness, rashes and irritation are not unusual. Natural cosmetics (minus the harmful substances like sodium lauryl sulphate, propelyn glycol and petrolatum) will not cause skin irritations like chemical-rich makeup does. Plus the fact that the phytonutrients in all natural makeup helps in soothing current irritation, which makes your skin look youthful and glowing.
There you have it. The top 5 reasons why it’s better to make that switch to natural cosmetics for a safer and healthier choice. Not only should we bear in mind what we eat and take inside our bodies, but also consider what we apply to our skin—lotions, oils and cosmetics. After all, the skin is the biggest organ in the body and we should just be as mindful what we slather onto it which can easily get absorbed into your system as well.
Article written by: Febrina Tanghal